Lawrence A. Ramsey

Default Why wood prices are going up

I had never heard that but it makes sense. When you look at all the
trouble areas in the world today, many came from Britian and the way
they divided up/split the countries and to whom they gave them to.
Israel/Palestine, Iraq/Iran/etc., India/Pakistan, others, Egypt, heck
they owned most of the world it seems like. When they left Israel,
they couln't even leave at the correct hour; left an hour early and it
caught the Arabs off gurd and the Israeli's moved in. Anyway, thanks
for the information. I had not even considered tat. Happens all too
often when you look at problems and go (almost) to the source.

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 23:07:11 -0700, Fly-by-Night CC
wrote:

In article ,
Ramsey wrote:

But Charlie, give credit where credit is due. The only people with a
worse track record of international screwups are the Btrit's. They
GAVE Iraq and the rest of the middle East away - and with it the oil.

Just a day or two ago I watched a book presentation on C-Span2 titled -
I think - "19 Weeks". The author stated that G.Britain was 6 months or
so away from total and absolute bankruptcy during the summer of 1940.
The British involvement in Western Europe as well as defending itself
during the Battle of Britain cost the country extreme amounts of money.
In his opinion that was the turning point of the British Empire losing
its dominance as a world power and its need to lighten the load of all
its colonies. They spent so much during such a short period of time and
just couldn't afford to maintain the far reaches.