Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bandsaw vs cold saw

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:15:10 -0600, RoyJ wrote:

I can relate!

OK, I guess I can't relate to the cat fish but I do have to put up with
the worm experiments in the dock area where we keep our engine related
stuff.

I use my 16" Walker Turner to cut meat with great regularity. Goes
through pork ribs marvelously. Id never cut fish with it though..I dont
eat fish.

But..I always clean up afterwards. The one time a bud used it to cut up
most of a wild boar while I was gone down south..and I found maggots in
the base of the machine cause he didnt clean it......

wrote:
A horizontal saw and stocking metals that cut well is the best you
can
do I think. Doall had a chart that showed how to break in a new blade
and match blades to the material. It showed what the chips should and
should not look like. Cheaper blades from a good company might be
the answer too.

I worked at the U of MD for 35 years first at Ag Engineering and then
ran
the Wind Tunnel shop. Many stories, At Ag a professor cut up frozen
cat fish for a project on a 14" Delta one weekend and the saw stank
for
years. At the Wind Tunnel a couple of students marched up to our 36"
wood bandsaw and asked if it was the saw we used to cut titanium.
Our co-op student threw them out in a hurry.

Even a grad student who was very good in the shop forgot that Thompson
linear bearing 1" bar was case hardened and killed a new blade in an
instant
For a while we kept the 36" Doall set at 50 feet per minute with the
control
handles taken off.

A lot of our stock was surplus from WWII that had been hoarded for
many years. Some of it was pretty awful.

Foreign students were better because most had had training in high
school shops at home. One of our fellows born here had not figured
out single edge razor blades and cut himself twice in one lab class.

Student shops are in a class by themselves.

Charlie, retired with my own shop in the celler

On Nov 27, 3:07 pm, RoyJ wrote:
I get fairly tired of 0800 e-mails from the lab supervisor detailing the
transgressions from the day or weekend before. Then I walk around and
see what projects have newly minted stainless steel parts, congratulate
the team on their choice of an almost indestructible material, and the
perp steps forward to take the praise (blame). Current plan is to get
all of the alloy steels including 4140, drill rod, tool steels, spring
steels and stainless loaded into racks with "see lab supervisor before
using" signs. THEN I have a big stick to club them with.

This semester I made a big deal of using virgin 6061-T6 aluminum,
extolling the virtues of it's 30kpsi tensile strength. I made it the
most easily accessable material, picked a bunch of common sizes from
.032" to .250". I'm getting MUCH better life out of the vertical bandsaw
blades.

Now off to getting the horizontal machine back in good order.

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jeez, there should be SOME consequence for somebody abusing the
machine. You're not going to get him to pay for it, I'm sure. But
maybe if his department had to pay, there would be pressure on him to
do better. 'Course you'd have to know who the perp was & you probably
never do.
Surely you could have one of those traditional American perp walks? :-)
Chris- Hide quoted text -

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania