Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Stubborn 3mm screws

In article ,
N_Cook wrote:
Crikey. It's an impact driver - not hammer drill. So the impact action
works with the bit stationary. Anything else would be pointless for
undoing screws.

I'll have to look into this, I had assumed that motorised impact drivers
were were rotational rather than percusive torque.

Difficult to explain - they sort of whack the thing round. When driving in
a screw obviously the rotation stops at some point otherwise it would
shear. And obviously too when removing a tight screw it starts whacking it
before the rotation starts. At the worst it might not actually undo a very
tight screw but just make noise. ;-)

So you can select just the percussive action in a reverse sense on its
own without engaging the screwdriver rotation ? I've not seen it
explicitly stated on the blurb I've read so far.

No. It runs at a constant speed until a given resistance occurs then the
impact action starts and the rotation speed slows down.

Looks like a crizzy prezz if so.

Indeed. It punches far above its weight. Small enough to fit the pocket
but will do most things around the house. As well as the workbench.
The other real benefit is they are not tiring to use as you don't sort of
have to resist the torque with your wrist. So if screwing down lots of
floorboards etc far better than an ordinary cordless drill/driver.

--
*No husband has ever been shot while doing the dishes *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.