Lionel

Default Band saw choice

Thanks. I'll pass this on . . . and maybe use it myself when I save up a
few more dollars.

Lionel

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:08:29 -0500, "Lionel"
wrote:

Got any info on how to choose a good band saw, wondering what rpm, blade,
size would be good for ripping oak branches up to 4" in diameter?

Up to 4" logs, most of the "home workshop" grade 14" (wheel diameter)
bandsaws will happily saw them.

IMHO, go for a welded steel frame, not cast iron. Lagunas and MiniMax
are nice. If you've got the money, go for an 18" - you'll not regret
investing in a serious bandsaw.

One thing you will definitely need is a log-sawing sled. JOAT posted
this link recently, which is the sort of thing you need (but maybe
bigger).
http://www.ship-modelers-assn.org/tps0105.htm

Mark Duginske's "Bandsaw Handbook"
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...980/codesmiths
is worth having too. Especially for the advice on choosing blades -
and as a bandsaw is just a machine for moving blades around, then you
should invest in an appropriate range of good blades. Timberwolves are
well spoken of for heavy resawing on small machines.

--
Smert' spamionam