Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Wish Me Luck !

matthew maguire wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

(snip)
Ohhh , yeah ! I know it's double , been in business before .
There's an awful lot about being in business for yourself that the
general public just doesn't know about . And I think you might have
the withholding percentages wrong - though I haven't checked , and I
know that since I was last in business 1992 they have changed the
structure of SSI and medicaid/medicare withholding .
I wish they'd passed legislation that would let me handle that
myself . I trust me a hell of a lot more than I trust "them" . Been
putting 6%+ away over and above SSI for several years now .

Hi Terry,

No it's not really double.... There's a magic hole in the back yard of
each employer, that money seems to pop out of, for SSI... the money
kinda "miracles itself there". Where in "THE WIDE, WIDE WORLD of
sports" is Darwin when you need him most????

Good luck on the "putin' out the shingle thing", for me it's worth at
least $25 per hour just knowing what I'm doing tomorrow... Or maybe
what I'm "not" doing (I love to say NO SALE).

BTW, all the stuff about insuring and indemnity, do it (risk based on
books, but shop around). Also real friends don't mind if you take
forever cause you're busy, and you're getting a case of beer anyway
(you better)! Last, be friends with a real walk in welding or
fabricating shop so when someone (city, state, airport, etc.) finds
you, you can say "X" does that a lot and they can slip you in (make
the call for them).
Oh, almost forgot, got caught in the AMT window 3 times before talking
to the tax lady about it, didn't know you can plop money in
municipals, get 10%, flip off the state and feds, and still do OK.

Matt (out'a the rat race 15 years now)!

I'll read this one again tomorrow , when I'm sober ...
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta