Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Wish Me Luck !

Gerald Miller wrote:
On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:57:21 -0500, "Mark Dunning"
wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ster.com...

Wes wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote:

I'm wondering where I'm open to liability , since you're the
second person
to mention insurance coverage . Perhaps in the event one of my
units fails ?
I can't see the bar unit itself failing , but perhaps the surface
it's mounted on ...

One thing to consider, are you a rock that a contingency fee
lawyer is going to be able to
squeeze water or blood out of?

Insurance is for people with something to lose. Of all things,
I'd think what you are
making is one of the safer things in manufacturing. Big assed
bars over the window, my
sawsall going through the wall, my bet is on the sawsall.

Bars over windows are feel good stuff. In the typical frame home,
a battery powered
sawsall can penetrate the wall, cut a hole, and you can reach in
and unlock the door.

I don't think I'd be worried about the insurance too much.

As I noted, one of the risks is his super duper security bars
preventing an occupant from escaping a fire.

When the oil boom went bust and a savings and loan scandal broke,
rroperty values declined in OKC in the mid 80s.

My neighbor had a set of bars installed on his house as the "hood"
invaded our subdivision . I expressed my concerns about fire and
he showed me how the bottom "lagbolts" were really just bolt heads
welded to the frame and the whole assembly would pivot on the top
bolts. This allowed the grating to pivot and the occupants to go
out thru the window. I think only the bedrooms were spoofed this
way and the other windows had real mounts.

Very clever thinking.

I bought a big loud dog instead.

All the other houses on the street got burglarized, except his and
mine.

Mark (Weimaraners Rule, Dude) Dunning

After the fourth time I told the alarm company canvassers to get lost
the next one to ring my doorbell (a petit Asian girl), I offered to
demonstrate my Staffordshire alarm system and Winchester anti-theft
equipment. About five minutes latter, one of the city's finest was at
my door. When I explained what had happened and he stopped laughing,
he suggested a no soliciting sign for my door, then if they persisted,
I would be justified in treating doorbell ringing pests as
trespassers, taking whatever steps required to get them across the
property line. Apparently the little Asian gal needed laundry help!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

I'm laughin' my ass off at that one - of course that might be partly
because I'm kinda yaeh , right drunk right now ...
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta