Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Wish Me Luck !

"Jon Elson" wrote in message
Terry Coombs wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
I've decided to go into business for myself (been there before ...)
building window bars and A/C surrounds . I've checked a few local
fabricators , and I can beat their prices by a pretty fair margin .
Nothing fancy , just basic security bars . Just returned from the
steel yard with a load of stock for fabricating samples ...
Getting laid off last week might be a blessing !
Just be sure you get adequate liability insurance to cover your
posterior.

I'm wondering where I'm open to liability , since you're the second
person to mention insurance coverage . Perhaps in the event one of my
units fails ? I can't see the bar unit itself failing , but perhaps the
surface it's mounted on ...

The risk is imbeciles. Someone pays you X thousand $ to bar up all their
windows and doors. Then the house catches on fire, and they can't break
out. Then, they sue you for "killing" their family members.

Jon

And they'd be right. As a professional, you have the obligation NOT to do
something stupid. Like the patient who says, "Doc, go ahead and take my
brain out. I hardly ever use it anyway."

As an equipment operator, a crane operator, a welder, and lots of other
crafts, when some clueless person tells you to do something stupid and
illegal, you don't have to do it.

Like when yo mama said, "If Johnny jumps over the cliff

Steve