Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Generator Power Shedding?

Pete C. wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Bull.

With a generator as small as 2KW, the generator will probably stall
before you can shed the new load, and even if it doesn't it will
bog down badly causing low voltage and low frequency issues. If
it's an inverter based unit like an EU2000i it will just go into
protect mode and you will loose output until you manually stop and
restart the generator.

You think it sounds simple, but you've clearly never done load
management, nor have you thought through the details of the
problem. With a generator that small, the OPs safest and simplest
solution is to swap power cords around manually.

Relay logic as you noted in another post would be a bloody mess
for this since you have to know the load of each of the controlled
outputs and determine the allowable combinations that will not
overload the generator.
Good Lord, you're making it more complicated than
it needs to be. I could do it quite simply with
all off the shelf inexpensive timers and relays.
I have had a smidgen of experience with little
Cats and tiny little 16 cylinder EMD generators
putting out a minuscule 4,160 volts and enough
current to melt the proverbial crowbar. Don't over
engineer the golly gosh darn thingy itty bitty
generator, it's not an APU on the space shuttle.
I guess all those 5 to 40kw generators I've installed
and maintained for homes and business have left me
with a substantial dearth of knowledge when it comes
to electrical systems. Should I walk you through
the simple steps that would address all your dire
concerns for blowing up the itty bitty power plant?
Of course, the simplest thing is as you say is to
switch cords but if he's anything like all of us
lazy humans who love to take advantage of existing
technology for the sake of convenience, he wants
something automatic.

TDD

Whoop-dee-doo, you still haven't covered the actual issues,
particularly with the probability of an inverter based generator
give the OPs mention of 2KW, and the fact that as soon as the new
load came online the inverter would trip out on overload before your
relay could shed other loads.

What inverter based generator? The guy has a itty bitty
generator sitting on top of an inverter? That's a heck
of a silly thing to place a generator on top of. GEEZ!

TDD

Why? For what valid reason?