B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Default Want Opinions on sliding compound miter saw

On 22 Sep 2003 07:55:55 -0700, (Mark) wrote:

Hi Guys,
I'm interested in hearing the wreck's opinion on 10/12" sliding
compound miter saw. My criteria areas a 1) Easy depth of cut
setting - I'm thinking I would be able to plow out dado's with
multiple passes on a long board easier than a dado head on the table
saw.

You want a Radial Arm Saw if you're planning on dadoing with this
tool. No SCMS I've ever seen could accept a dado set on the arbor,
nor could it accept a depth of cut setting.

2) accurate miter/bevel stops.

I'm happy with my reconditioned Delta SCMS's stops. It took me about
an hour to align the saw when I got it, but I saved $250 over a new
saw.

3) either a high tooth count blade
from factory or a lower price to offset the cost of buying a higher
price.

Good luck.

3) laser would be a plus...but again a lower price offset to
buy a laserKerf if not included.

I've never had one, and don't really know what I'm missing. I can't
understand how a laser could really make my results better.

4) EZ blade change

My Delta is no more difficult than a hand held circular saw.

5) replacable zero
clearance insert.

Make your own with the original and a router, you're a woodworker,
right? G Set up the router, and with some carpet tape, thin
plywood, and the original, you can make 20 in an hour.

Barry