Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default Ten Reasons Why the Auto Bailout Is a Bad Idea

Bill Noble wrote:

(snip)
last time I was in the market for a car, I drove the small cadilac -
horrible uncomfortable car at any price - I ended up with another german
car - not because it goes fast (after all, stuck in traffic, all cars go the
same speed) but because it was comfortable - though I don't think I'll be
getting another convertible any time soon. Give me a car with excellent
seats, good interior layout, tight and accurate suspension and excellent
fit, finish, and reliability - don't try and pawn off a miniaturized land
yacht with a big engine as the same thing. I tried the Vette - feels like a
big car, didn't like it (though it was really fast). I can't believe that
my tastes are all that unique. There is a segment of the market that
doesn't like to trade a car every 3 years (I prefer "never"), which will pay
for quality and reliability (as opposed to fancy chrome and big wheels), and
which doesn't require something that can drag a small house around.

If I want a land yacht, I can drive my 59 cad - when I want to go to work, I
certainly don't need that sized car (and it isn't all that comfortable
anyway)

I think the STS"V" is more to the driving flavor of the older 325is
series with some whupass under the hood. The 300C is fashioned more like
the AMG but not as powerful (still silly fast for 4200# though).

Also the STS has its' own chassis that were built in europe (don't know
about now) and is available on no other GM vehicle. Cosidering the
weight it supports I think it's better than the vette.

Haven't heard much about the fit and finish of these two but everyone
seems to think the interiors are cheezy??? They're DRIVERS... (none of
this 8 way passenger seat nonsense).

I do wonder about the caddie (all) interior layouts.. My wifes' DTS is
horrible. But it's FWD and her 05 300C was RWD (I TOLD HER she have
trouble in the snow) and she is happy??? I really didn't Like the 300C
at first (passenger seat = no good, driver = good). I told the Caddie
guy to test drive the 300 with the windows down and everything turned
off (car had 89,000 miles), he came back amazed, no squeaks or rattles
just the thump of the tires and whisper of the air.

Matt