Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default DIY Coolant Pump For Milling

DoN. Nichols wrote:

Does anyone here remember T-nut,

Teenut? Yes -- and I still miss him.

And the oil based coolants are not as dangerous as
some have been suggesting -- unless perhaps you do something stupid like
waiting until the lathe tool gets red hot and then hit it with a stream
of oil at just the wrong angle.

(lots of snips above)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Sad to loose a buddy... I have lifetime exposure to about everything and
in middle age some of it shows up...

Actually, I think my Landis grinder is the worst ( big flood, I put a
fan behind me to help with the mist cloud). I finally found a synthetic
that had none under the MSDS health hazards for it but it's still like
standing over a vaporizer...

For my misters (spitters) I use Kool-Mist 77 and direct the flow into
the bore or against the face (trepanning), I face mill "dry" on the HBM.
MSDS - "non toxic" under ingestion and "none" under inhalation and skin
exposure.

For clean lathe work I use a Cedarberg unit modified for low pressure
spitting (these puppies fetch $180 or more now). Very pleasant and quiet
but cools poorly, I can use W/S oils with this and get very little to no
smoke and have no irritation.

For HSS milling or slotting on the knee mill I use Kool-Mist 77 with
coolant metering at 40PSI (I'll get about 80 hours from a gallon). This
is the only unit that atomizes but, at near dry I get no cloud). I can
cut 60 - 80 1/2" slots 3" long in 4340AQ shafts with this and a
beautiful finish.

When I use the shaper (seldom but fun), I use a lube stick (small to
moderate cloud and irritating if it's moderate, but I stay away).

For tapping (hand or power) I use Anchorlube in a squeeze bottle (you
can eat the stuff). This stuff is very good under boundry conditions
(tapping or stamping) and is great for soft and gummy materials, (cleans
up with water).

My 1 gallon 15 year old bottle of cutting oil (sulpherized) is still
near full... And I have numerous other tapping fluid squeeze bottles
that will look good on my "sale rack" someday.

Matt