Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos Harold and Susan Vordos is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

"RogerN" wrote in message
m...

et...

You have convoluted thinking, Roger, and you justify it as if it is
approved by God. Moral people don't enjoy benefiting by the losses of
others. But then, that's my logic------the logic of what you consider a
heathen. I wonder how your God would judge the two of us?

Harold

Ok Harold, let me tell how it is as if you were the employer and I was
your employee. For starters, after a long history of taking away benefits
from employees, you decide to give all your hourly employees a 23%+ cut in
wages and benefits. You claim this is because the company is losing so
much money and you just want to lose less money. Right after this, your
employees are reading that the company is bosting of making record profits
every quarter.

Since so many employees quit, you have to hire recruiters to go to job
fairs to try to get people to work for the reduced wages. Meanwhile you
make the employees that didn't leave have to work mandatory overtime.
They are willing to work the overtime because you cut their pay and they
need the money.

So, let's say you have 15 machines that do the same thing but since the
economy is down you idle 4 of the machines. Now you have a "**** happens"
and takes down 2 more of the machines. You could start up any or all of
the 4 idle machines or you could call people to come in on their weekend
off to work on the machines that are down. You choose to call in people
on one of the few weekends a year that they aren't working and they come
in to help out.

You called them in too soon in a panic and now they can't do much because
the equipment has to dry out. So the employee, without being asked,
corrects other problems with the machine, as much as they can do under the
circumstances. The machine I was called in on still had power but relies
on a server computer that didn't have power. After the power is restored,
this employee gets the equipment going that you called them in on and
helps on the other equipment until the next shift comes in.

Do you consider that to be a bad employee just because they needed the
money they earned?

RogerN

The point I've tried to stress, apparently with little success, is that you
seem to think that the misfortune of others is a blessing given to you by
God. Said another way, it's as if God sanctioned the disaster, such as it
is, so you could make the additional pay. I have a lot of trouble with
that, Roger, just as I have trouble with hardcore Muslims thinking that
anyone that doesn't agree with their philosophy should die. Individuals,
for some strange reason, seem able to place themselves above all others, as
if they alone were created by this God you speak of, rendering their fellow
man and other life forms expendable. People with that mindset screw
over their fellow man routinely------something I witnessed first hand in my
56 years of living in the heart of the mormons, Salt Lake City, Utah. They
do not have a corner on abuse-----any regional majority religion tends to
behave in a like manor. Virtually all have forgotten the message of
Christ----making them far less Christ-like as their dogmatic approach to
their religion deepens.

Roger, I think, from what you're saying, that you're a decent guy that is so
blinded by his faith that he can't see things clearly. You must get a
grip, and you can do that by beginning to pray in private, and not impose
your unreasonable beliefs (superstitions) on others. If you expect me,
and others, to respect your right to be religious, you must respect our
rights to not be. You would go a long ways towards doing that by not
waving your God concept in our faces, as if you are the sole authority, and
know exactly of what you speak.

You may have studied the Bible all your life, and may have dedicated
yourself totally to your religion, but doing so does not make it true, nor
right. It may or may not be, but that's not the point. You have chosen
to allow your beliefs to control your very being----and you're letting that
control spill over to others in an attempt to show them the way. It
doesn't work for everyone, Roger. One of my most cherished friends, a
gentleman more than 25 years my senior, was an avowed atheist. He was one
of the kindest and considerate people I have ever known. From that you
can conclude that one need not believe in a creator to be a decent
individual. If you choose to do so, do so privately, and allow others the
privilege to have their beliefs. After all, yours are just as absurd to
them as theirs are to you.

I honestly believe that I can carry on a conversation with an individual
without knowing his religious preferences or beliefs. I really don't want
to know them, and I don't want them thrown in my face. The moment they make
them known, I realize I should be talking with others instead.

Harold