Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default DIY Coolant Pump For Milling

On 2008-11-24, ignator wrote:

[ ... ]

Does anyone here remember T-nut,

Teenut? Yes -- and I still miss him.

who bought a machine shop, where they
were using misting coolant, which irritated his lungs (a precursor of
lung cancer in my memory was actual cause) so he removed all mist
cooling systems from his shop.

Of course, he was a regular life-long smoker, too, so we can't
blame the mist coolant with any certainty.

After that it killed all ideas of buying anything from Enco or any
other vendor who sold these.

O.K.

My recommendation is to use oil based coolant, no water/emulsions as
you must clean up every time you use this to prevent machine rust.
Ignator

Reasonable. And the oil based coolants are not as dangerous as
some have been suggesting -- unless perhaps you do something stupid like
waiting until the lathe tool gets red hot and then hit it with a stream
of oil at just the wrong angle.

Full coverage will probably still cool it quickly enough to
eliminate that problem -- though damage to the tool remains a
possibility.

However -- if the red-hot tool gets hit just by the edge of the
flow, it might vaporize and ignite the oil, which would then spread to
the rest. Keep a good fire extinguisher handy, just in case.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564