Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default OT - God, then and now

et...

You have convoluted thinking, Roger, and you justify it as if it is
approved by God. Moral people don't enjoy benefiting by the losses of
others. But then, that's my logic------the logic of what you consider a
heathen. I wonder how your God would judge the two of us?

Harold

Ok Harold, let me tell how it is as if you were the employer and I was your
employee. For starters, after a long history of taking away benefits from
employees, you decide to give all your hourly employees a 23%+ cut in wages
and benefits. You claim this is because the company is losing so much money
and you just want to lose less money. Right after this, your employees are
reading that the company is bosting of making record profits every quarter.

Since so many employees quit, you have to hire recruiters to go to job fairs
to try to get people to work for the reduced wages. Meanwhile you make the
employees that didn't leave have to work mandatory overtime. They are
willing to work the overtime because you cut their pay and they need the
money.

So, let's say you have 15 machines that do the same thing but since the
economy is down you idle 4 of the machines. Now you have a "**** happens"
and takes down 2 more of the machines. You could start up any or all of the
4 idle machines or you could call people to come in on their weekend off to
work on the machines that are down. You choose to call in people on one of
the few weekends a year that they aren't working and they come in to help
out.

You called them in too soon in a panic and now they can't do much because
the equipment has to dry out. So the employee, without being asked,
corrects other problems with the machine, as much as they can do under the
circumstances. The machine I was called in on still had power but relies on
a server computer that didn't have power. After the power is restored, this
employee gets the equipment going that you called them in on and helps on
the other equipment until the next shift comes in.

Do you consider that to be a bad employee just because they needed the money
they earned?

RogerN