Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default DIY Coolant Pump For Milling

In article ,
matthew maguire wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

(snip)

Plus misting introduces a constant contamination of the atmosphere, deeply
inhalable micro droplets and vapor of questionable microbial sanitation and
anticorrosion chemicals. But I suppose that's better than emulsified swine
fat that's been in a bucket for months. Flooding with petroleum
hydrocarbons sounds better all the time.

I would imagine that is why most misters now sputter or spit instead of
fog. You definitely want to use synthetic instead of soluble oil in
these things because of breathing issues.

Also even though the smoke produced from cutting is not seen with a
mister it is still there and one should be aware that all lubricated
cutting produces vapors that are harmful in too large a quantity (even
the very expensive microdrop "dry" units with the very enviro "pretty"
lubricants.

I have to agree. Breathing the mist can be very unpleasant. I wear a
3M oil-mist-rated mask while using a mister.

Joe Gwinn