Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30837 Ignoramus30837 is offline

Default Mill advice?

On 2008-11-23, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 10:19:59 -0600, Ignoramus30837

On 2008-11-23, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
Gunner Asch writes:

No...I meant what I wrote.

The dialing secquences and modem handling SUCK on most versions of
linux.

Been there, done that. Stocked up on USR 56k EXTERNAL models from
second hand stores etc etc....

Half of the versions of linux wouldnt even find a serial modem, those
that would, would dial, and NOT recognize that they were on like after
the password and user name sequences.

Im on dialup..no highspeed here. Ive tried at least 10 distros and few
would work properly

Don't know what to say -- I sure never experienced any of that with
slackware, redhat, nor debian...

Modems were handled well by linux since times immemorial. Never had
troubles with US Robotics.

so what would cause the modem to dial out, pass on the username and
password, and then simply sit there?

Wrong stuff in chat script? Not recognizing logon success?

Opening the shell and watching the ack/nak username/password sequence
would show it dialing, sending password etc...then simply sit there like
a stone, until it times out..over and over again.

I think that it is not a modem problem, as such, it is a problem of
what software you used to dial out. I used wvdial lately (a year ago)
in Mexico and it worked, I think that wvdial recognizes things a
little better.
posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/