Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg Ralph E Lindberg is offline

Default Green Woodturning, Free Walnut

In article ,
Stuart wrote:

In article ,
mac davis wrote:

Wow.. thinking back a few years when a friend from the UK suggested I
use "Liquid Paraffin" for wet sanding... After extensive searching, I
found that the US translation was mineral oil..

Interesting because the term "Liquid Paraffin" normally has a highly
specific meaning in the UK. You would normally purchase it from a pharmacy
(drug store) and it is taken internally, by mouth, as a laxative!

Any "mineral oil" would not be recommended for this as it would be toxic.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the source of "Liquid paraffin" actually
is but "mineral oil" implies something derived from the stuff that comes
out of the ground.

Stuart, mineral oil is -highly- refined petroleum and I suspect it is
exactly the same thing as "liquid paraffin", as we use mineral oil in
exactly the same way. BTW, you do know that paraffin (both wax and
kerosine) also are refined from crude, right?

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv