Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DIY Coolant Pump For Milling

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 06:57:47 -0800 (PST), Tim wrote:

On Nov 22, 6:59?pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
I've been playing with a Taig 2019 mini mill for a while now, and its fun,
but for hogging out any real amounts of metal I need to keep a constant
spray of oil on my cutter.

I just asked my local furnace/ AC repair guy to save me an oil fired
furnace's pump for me the next time he replaced a furnace. This is the
unit that pumps the heating oil through a nozzle to spray it into the
combustion/heating chamber. Free for the asking!
I haven't set it up on the old Bridgeport yet but it's 110V and I can
pretty much use it as is. I just have to plumb some lines to it using
the threaded input and output ports and close the re-circulation port
too.
I believe I originally heard of this in this group?

Tim
Finger Lakes region of NY
www.alisam.com

swamp cooler pumps cost about $20 and work well enough for water based
coolants. Simply stick one in a 5 gallon bucket with the return line
back into the bucket.

shrug...if you elevate the bucket to just below table level, they will
also work well enough for light oil coolants
Gunner

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania