Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Mill advice?

On 2008-11-23, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
Gunner Asch writes:

My biggest issue with most versions of linux, is that few of them will
handle an external modem properly.

No..not Internal, which is another issue..but EXTERNAL ones.

Not unless you are a Linux whiz and go script writing

I'm very, very surprised. I can't speak to recent events (thank God,
I haven't had to use a modem, internal or external, in years), but
that seemed like one of the things they got right very early.

Yes -- but if you were trying to configure uucp to make regular
(and automatic) connections to another system, there is a bit of a
learning curve.

And configuring for uucp also makes it easier for cu or tip to
work calling by system name, instead of having to pass parameters
through manually. IIRC, kermit did not use any of those features, so it
was as easy to use on unix/linux as on MS-DOS or whatever. Probably,
other terminal emulator programs were similarly easy.

I did use uucp to connect to my first feed -- both for e-mail
and usenet. That was first on a v7 unix, and then on a Unix-PC (SysVr2
mostly). With the 3B1, there was a move up to HDB (HonneyDanBer) uucp,
which had more security, and more configuration fun -- especially with a
Telebit Worldblazer modem. :-)

I was using minicom sometime in the last millenium (making my machine
look like a plain dumb terminal), and a standard ppp daemon to talk
IP-over-PPP for years after...

I'm a happy debian user, FWIW.

While I'm currently using a mix of Sun's Solaris and OpenBSD,
mostly on SPARC machines.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564