Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Green Woodturning, Free Walnut

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 07:44:16 -0500, Gerald Ross wrote:

Dave Lawson wrote:
John Gbur wrote:
4) Cut into spindle stock. (Leave pith out again). Then seal the ends, I
use anchorseal or parafin on the ends. Anchorseal is safer, but I found a
temperature controlled pot to use for parafin and seal ends outside.

Being in the UK, I am wondering if paraffin would do a useful job. Have
you tried kerosene?

I assume you are referring to paraffin wax or candle wax.

I don't know how far around the world these various names go but the
thought of someone's workshop exploding as a result of following this
advice......

Don't forget the internet is worldwide and the UK's influence runs deep
in some parts still.

Dave L

We are both at fault. If we said paraffin wax and you said paraffin
oil, nobody would be confused. As much.

Wow.. thinking back a few years when a friend from the UK suggested I use
"Liquid Paraffin" for wet sanding...
After extensive searching, I found that the US translation was mineral oil..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing