Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Need help installing a ceiling fan

On Nov 21, 5:36*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:42:08 -0800, wrote:

I am trying to install a ceiling fan with lights. *The fan is not new.
It has 4 wires:

Black
White
Blue
Bare Copper

The ceiling wiring is old. *There is a white wire and a yellowish wire
that completed the circuit in the old fixture. *

I figure the white goes to the white and the yellowish goes to the
black. *But where do the blue and the bare wires go? *There doesn't
seem to be anything in the ceiling or the fan to serve as a ground.

Okay, I've solved the bare-wire issue. *Let me revise my question: *

Where does the blue wire go? *

The blue wire is for the light. *If you only have two non-ground wires
in the box, both the black and the blue go to the "hot" wire. *The white
* goes to the neutral. *You'll have to figure out which one is which.

If you have access from above, and you want the light to be able to be
controlled independently from the fan by a wall switch (and the fan to
be always hot and controlled only by the pull chain) you have some
rewiring to do.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Awkward when someone who doesn't have clue about electricity starts
asking about the "white wire and the yellowish wire"!

And doesn't know how to test the functions of the various wires even
if we make a good guess, not having seen the actual situation and try
to advise!

While I'd agree with the assumptions made so far by the other posters
these are the sitautions that really worry!