Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help installing a ceiling fan

I am trying to install a ceiling fan with lights. The fan is not new.
It has 4 wires:

Black
White
Blue
Bare Copper

The ceiling wiring is old. There is a white wire and a yellowish wire
that completed the circuit in the old fixture.

I figure the white goes to the white and the yellowish goes to the
black. But where do the blue and the bare wires go? There doesn't
seem to be anything in the ceiling or the fan to serve as a ground.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Nov 21, 10:42*am, wrote:
I am trying to install a ceiling fan with lights. *The fan is not new.
It has 4 wires:

Black
White
Blue
Bare Copper

The ceiling wiring is old. *There is a white wire and a yellowish wire
that completed the circuit in the old fixture. *

I figure the white goes to the white and the yellowish goes to the
black. *But where do the blue and the bare wires go? *There doesn't
seem to be anything in the ceiling or the fan to serve as a ground.

Blue wires are usually feed for the attached lamp. It appears that
your 'yellowish' wire is a switched lamp feed. If your fan has
integral pull chain switches, then the blue and black would go the
ceiling hot wire. Tuck the bare copper out of the way and plan to
upgrade your house wiring soon. Good luck.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 9:42*am, wrote:
I am trying to install a ceiling fan with lights. *The fan is not new.
It has 4 wires:

Black
White
Blue
Bare Copper

The usual fan color code:
Black - Hot to fan motor
White - Neutral
Blue - Hot to lights
Bare - Ground

So, Black and Blue together to the hot wire in the box.
White to the neutral wire in the box.
Bare wire - ??? I really don't know what you do with a ground wire in
an ungrounded box?

Jerry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Nov 21, 5:36*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:42:08 -0800, wrote:

I am trying to install a ceiling fan with lights. *The fan is not new.
It has 4 wires:

Black
White
Blue
Bare Copper

The ceiling wiring is old. *There is a white wire and a yellowish wire
that completed the circuit in the old fixture. *

I figure the white goes to the white and the yellowish goes to the
black. *But where do the blue and the bare wires go? *There doesn't
seem to be anything in the ceiling or the fan to serve as a ground.

Okay, I've solved the bare-wire issue. *Let me revise my question: *

Where does the blue wire go? *

The blue wire is for the light. *If you only have two non-ground wires
in the box, both the black and the blue go to the "hot" wire. *The white
* goes to the neutral. *You'll have to figure out which one is which.

If you have access from above, and you want the light to be able to be
controlled independently from the fan by a wall switch (and the fan to
be always hot and controlled only by the pull chain) you have some
rewiring to do.

good luck

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Awkward when someone who doesn't have clue about electricity starts
asking about the "white wire and the yellowish wire"!

And doesn't know how to test the functions of the various wires even
if we make a good guess, not having seen the actual situation and try
to advise!

While I'd agree with the assumptions made so far by the other posters
these are the sitautions that really worry!

Posted to alt.home.repair

The usual fan color code:
Black - Hot to fan motor
White - Neutral
Blue - Hot to lights
Bare - Ground

So, Black and Blue together to the hot wire in the box.
White to the neutral wire in the box.
Bare wire - ??? I really don't know what you do with a ground wire in
an ungrounded box?

Wrap it around a screw within the junction box.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I presume you read the manual? I installed a ceiling fan, a while back. One
wire powered the motor (and was hot all the time). Another wire was switched
by a wall switch, and powered the lights. The blue wire may possibly be only
for the lights.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message

Okay, I've solved the bare-wire issue. Let me revise my question:

Where does the blue wire go?

Posted to alt.home.repair

did you even bother reading the instruction that come with the fan???
Jeeeezze.... ceiling fans have had the same color coded wires forever, and
they DO come with instructions.