Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Soldering in a brass ball valve.

wrote:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 12:21:28 -0600, The Daring Dufas

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 01:36:31 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

I was in one of the HVAC supply houses a few days ago
when something caught my eye. I picked up a bottle of
copper glue. The instructions on the bottle indicated
that it is used in much the same way you would use PVC
cement but it's for copper. I thought it might be an
April Fools joke but it was for real. I haven't tried
it yet but I suppose I'll have to.

http://www.justforcopper.com/JFCPro.htm

TDD
It's one thing if a pipe develops a small leak, it's quite another if
a joint FAILS. Soldering penetrates the porous surface of the copper
and locks it together. A good solder joint will outlast the pipes it
connects. How long will "glue" last under pressure? Not in my house!

The price of 15% silver solder which is what I
use the most for HVAC and refrigeration work has
doubled in price. I wish there was a glue I could
trust as much as PVC cement but for copper. It
would save me a lot of time and time is money.

TDD

PVC cement is really a solvent that partially melts the pvc and then
allows it to harden again after the melted plastic co-mingles and it
fuses. It is not a "glue" or adhesive in the ordinary sense.

If ti9me is money, evaluate how much"money" it will cost your
business to fix failed joints for free, and also repair your
reputation. A bad reputation will reduce the amount of money your time
is really worth dramatically.

"I wish there was a glue I could trust...."

GEEZ!

TDD