Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Not Gimpy Anymore Not Gimpy Anymore is offline

Default Green Woodturning, Free Walnut

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
Could someone assist my googling? g Two days ago the power company
converted a walnut tree in our backyard to a pile of branches and a stack
of 14" logs about a foot to a foot and a half long. I painted the ends of
the largest of the logs before running out of old paint.

Then I unpacked my new Harbor Freight (I know, I know) mini lathe and set
of starter lathe chisels and made three practice "Christmas Tree
Ornaments" from lengths of the branches. No finish was applied. This
morning the two that are under an inch in diameter are ok but the 2"
diameter ornament is badly cracked.

How does one successfully work with green wood? Strip off the bark and
let it sit a year?

In any case I'm not going to be able to turn all the wood so there are
some free-for-the-hauling walnut logs in Bowie, Maryland USA if anyone
wants some wood. Do the obvious to the email address.

-- Mark

I have been told (my direct experience in turning is still futuristic)
that one can
turn green wood, but after turning, it should be sealed somehow to cure (dry
without
cracking) for about a year.
My particular informant prefers using plastic film wrap (saran or
equivalent),
wrapping the piece(s) well, & storing away for about a year.

Either way, it will be a long time until you can turn the green wood into
a useful
thing without cracks - either cure the stock, or cure the turning...

HTH