Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

On Nov 21, 7:21�am, "Craig M" wrote:
I went through a lot of the replies, the one thing no one thought of is the
EMF pulse through the transformer when its powered up and down quickly, it's
sorta like a old style igition coil, there is a pulse of voltage then the
magneitic field colapases, and having full line voltage at a doorbell button
outside where it may get wet, exposed to the weather is not a good idea
either, but if one realy wants to go green, go with the old fashioned door
knocker, but when we remodeled and put the front door in, I installed a
wired doorbell button and all."Bill" wrote in message

Wired doorbells have a transformer which is always on and always using
electricity. This is yet one more thing in the house which does this like
TV, microwave, remote control things, things with clocks, plug-in phones,
etc.

These things add up...

I replaced/rewired my switch so the transformer is only on when the
doorbell I wen button is pressed! Thus the transformer is off most of the
time now.

I installed a regular electrical box at my front door, ran 14 ga. romex
from this box to the doorbell transformer, then got a nice brass blank
wall plate, drilled a hole in this plate, then installed a 120V momentary
push switch in the plate. Then wired this to switch on the transformer
when the button is pressed. Then connected the two wires which were going
to the old button so the doorbell would ring as soon as it receives power
from the transformer.- Hide quoted text -

EMF pulse, you worry too much.

Doorbell transformers are highly reliable only had one fail in my
lifetime.

I was about 10 when it got noisey and warm so i replaced it. want to
walk thru our former home someday, wonder if its still in use.

it got noisey and pretty warm, a fond memory of a big fix at the time