Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Green Woodturning, Free Walnut

Hello Mark,

Strip off the bark. Using a chain saw or maul, split the 14" logs
down the middle. This is to remove the pith.
You could also rip the logs into small flat pieces 2-3" in thickness.
Coat the ends with wax or loads of
old paint. Keep outside, covered (out of the rain), and off the
ground. Air must be allowed to circulate. Figure
about 1 year per inch thickness but I personally can't wait that long.

Use the branches to practice and develop your skills with the skew and
gouge.

On Nov 20, 11:38*am, "Mark Jerde" wrote:
Could someone assist my googling? *g *Two days ago the power company
converted a walnut tree in our backyard to a pile of branches and a stack of
14" logs about a foot to a foot and a half long. *I painted the ends of the
largest of the logs before running out of old paint.

Then I unpacked my new Harbor Freight (I know, I know) mini lathe and set of
starter lathe chisels and made three practice "Christmas Tree Ornaments"
from lengths of the branches. *No finish was applied. *This morning the two
that are under an inch in diameter are ok but the 2" diameter ornament is
badly cracked.

How does one successfully work with green wood? *Strip off the bark and let
it sit a year?

In any case I'm not going to be able to turn all the wood so there are some
free-for-the-hauling walnut logs in Bowie, Maryland USA if anyone wants some
wood. *Do the obvious to the email address.

* *-- Mark