Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Leroy[_4_] Leroy[_4_] is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Bill wrote:

I had a friend some years ago who ran the communications
division of the local power company. This was back when
they had HF radios for communications and the techs actually
had to know something about electronics. They would get
electronic interference complaints which were often traced
to doorbell transformers. It was a very common problem and
one that many people don't even think of today.

TDD

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing that.

If it was "a very common problem", can you offer a cite proving that a
60 hz transformer and 10-50 feet of unshielded wire with 24 vac on it
can cause interference at radio frequencies?

Wouldn't you expect that if that story was true those big pole pig
transformers and all that higher voltage wiring running on the poles on
nearly every street would have caused the radios to melt? G

Jeff

Do you know what voltage most (USA) doorbells operate on?

TDD

twenty volts or under, while thermostat transformers are typically
twenty four volts.