Default Virus Alert

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
news
Dennis wrote:
Rules at the newsreader
don't help. An infected machine somewhere is sending me 10 junk
emails an hour. If I shut down my PC the mail piles up at the server.
By the enxt morning my server mailbox is full and who-knows-how-
many legitimate emails have been bounced. *Nothing* in a modern
newsreader will solve this problem. It must be handled at the server.

Not true. Make your rules with the following action: "Delete From

Server".
Not only will you never see the spam in your delete folder, your pop

server will
get rid of them as well. You can do this; you're running the same email

program
I use.

If my PC is powered down, there is no rule any mail client can
execute that will delete mail from a POP server.

Yes, yes, YES! Hundreds of emails overnight. Don't know what
the limit is but I've never had a problem until this crap started
happening this week. Now you get it.

So leave your mailreader up until this dies down. My computer is up and

running
24/7/365. I seldom see spam.
FWIW, I have my monitor power down after 20 minutes of inactivity;

everything
else stays active.

Well, I have no choice but to do that. But I don't want to leave it up.
My only consolation is that someone out there has had their PC
royaly screwed up becaused of their foolish behavior. It's just
too bad it's harming others as well. I just wish that (those?) people
would disconnect their PC from the Internet.

Dennis Vogel