Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
John Gbur John Gbur is offline

Default Green Woodturning, Free Walnut

My best luck has been using several methods.

1) Remove the pith out no matter what you do.

2) Cut and turn as much as possible green. Leave it thicker so that you can
turn away what warps. Usually bowls in my case. Then
anchorseal it and let it dry. I just build up my stock often up to a year
then. Then return to the lathe turn it again then put on your finnish.

3) Cut and turn as soon as possible but leave it thin so that it can warp
without cracking (again usually bowls in my case).

4) Cut into spindle stock. (Leave pith out again). Then seal the ends, I
use anchorseal or parafin on the ends. Anchorseal is safer, but I found a
temperature controlled pot to use for parafin and seal ends outside. As
long as you stack them with stickers in between I have had very good results
creating my own spindle stock. Again I usually set this aside for later use
after it drys.

A very good book I would recommend is "Turning Green Wood" by Michael
Odonnell though there are now many good books and videos on turning green
wood.

Also website searches on turning green wood will give you many ideas.

Have fun and good luck. Remember even if you loose some it was all free.
After I few times of experimenting you will find what works for you.

"Mark Jerde" wrote in message
Could someone assist my googling? g Two days ago the power company
converted a walnut tree in our backyard to a pile of branches and a stack
of 14" logs about a foot to a foot and a half long. I painted the ends of
the largest of the logs before running out of old paint.

Then I unpacked my new Harbor Freight (I know, I know) mini lathe and set
of starter lathe chisels and made three practice "Christmas Tree
Ornaments" from lengths of the branches. No finish was applied. This
morning the two that are under an inch in diameter are ok but the 2"
diameter ornament is badly cracked.

How does one successfully work with green wood? Strip off the bark and
let it sit a year?

In any case I'm not going to be able to turn all the wood so there are
some free-for-the-hauling walnut logs in Bowie, Maryland USA if anyone
wants some wood. Do the obvious to the email address.

-- Mark