Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Advice on new range

On Nov 20, 7:15*am, Zz Yzx wrote:
After a measly 32 years, my range has cratered.

Any rec's for a new one? *$500-$700 price range?

Any ones to stay away from?

Thanks a heap,
-Zz

Get an electric with "tight" coils. They are higher quality than the
scrawny-coil types.

Advantages of electric;

-No dangerous open flame
-No added humidity from combustion
-No explosion hazard
-No stink
-More efficient transfer of energy from element to pan instead of
wasting energy on hot combustion gases flowing up around the pot/pan
unused in large quantities
-Cooler workspace above pan for stirring (see previous point)
-Durable coils

Don't get me wrong, it's not that I don't appreciate the finer aspects
of gas cooking. But if you don't already have a gas line in place by
your range, and any of the above points are important to you, I
suggest electric, especially if you're already used to it's heating
response characteristics.

I don't recommend smoothtops. Too many people have too many problems
with cracks, stains, pot size acceptance problems, etc.