Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Doorbell always uses electricity!

Mikepier wrote in
:

On Nov 19, 9:21*pm, "Bill" wrote:
Wired doorbells have a transformer which is always on and always
using electricity. This is yet one more thing in the house which does
this like TV, microwave, remote control things, things with clocks,
plug-in phones, etc.

These things add up...

I replaced/rewired my switch so the transformer is only on when the
doorb

ell
button is pressed! Thus the transformer is off most of the time now.

I installed a regular electrical box at my front door, ran 14 ga.
romex f

rom
this box to the doorbell transformer, then got a nice brass blank
wall plate, drilled a hole in this plate, then installed a 120V
momentary push switch in the plate. Then wired this to switch on the
transformer when th

button is pressed. Then connected the two wires which were going to
the o

ld
button so the doorbell would ring as soon as it receives power from
the transformer.

Congratulations, you've just saved yourself 25 cents a year in
electricity.
Not to mention it might not be safe if someone is standing on wet
pavement and they gey shocked by 120V.
You probably spent more in the material than if you let the Xfmr stay
on for 20 years.
Now how are you going to deal with the TV, fridge, phone, alarm clock,
microwave. Wait don't forget VCR/DVD player, cable box, heating
system, computer, sprinkler timer,

Gotta dig back in my 60's damaged memory synapses but the AC wires in the
walls generate an electromagnetic field. Metal that passes through these
fields gets induced voltage. So, if you have any metal in what you wear
or carry in your pocket you're sucking "some" level of power. Maybe can
save another .04 a year by instituting a buck naked policy indoors. Huh?