Posted to alt.home.repair
Duff[_2_] Duff[_2_] is offline

Default Battery Drills: I now have 4 bad ones.

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 08:05:06 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Nov 17, 11:09?pm, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"

On Nov 17, 5:13 pm, "Bob (but not THAT Bob)"
wrote:
Phil Again wrote:

This morning I discovered I now have 4 non-functional cordless drills
(battery powered) all due to battery packs won't take a charge.

Replacement batteries cost more than a new cordless drill.

The last cordless drill set, from HF, lasted less than 3 years.

So, my question:

Has anyone ever seen an aftermarket adapter that uses household electric
power, and fits into a cordless drill where the battery pack goes?

Wouldn't it be nice to spend $29.95 to convert a useless cordless drill
to a functional corded drill?

I know, I know, return from fantasy wishful thinking land, do not pass GO
and don't collect $200.00 monopoly money.

Phil

I personally never run into this kinda stuff in my "fantasy wishful
thinking land", but...

Stop dreaming and get out the old soldering iron and just rebuild the
packs with some new nicads like these:

http://www.onlybatteries.com/cat_fea...t=2&id=...Hide quoted text -

actually soldering to a ni cad is a bad idea, the heat can damage the
cells long term life.

primecell spot welds the cells together, heat is so fast it cant
damage cells.

cheap cordless tools cheap out on batteries, with low capacity cells.

Same with ICs - that's why there are heat sinks.- Hide quoted text -

theres no easy way to heat sink a battery, welding much better.

i have a friend who would freeze batteries before soldering on them

All the battery packs I've seen use tabbed batteries. No heat sink
or welding is necessary.