Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
I sent this before, but I don't see it:

On 11/18/08 11:43 pm I wrote:

I've seen people giving good reports of A O Smith units. I understand
that Sears/Kenmore water heaters are made by A O Smith, so any
reason to avoid Kenmore if the price is right? -- and install it
myself.

I've been reading various installation/operation manuals online and
see that the pipe from the T&P valve should go to a floor drain. We
don't have a floor drain in the basement utility room where the water
heater and HVAC is located; the present overflow pipe has a bucket
under it. The sump (with pump) is two rooms away. There is a wimpy
little pump that pumps the a/c condensate to the sump via a skinny
plastic tube that runs up and above the suspended ceiling.

Any recommendations?

An alternative configuration is to run the output of the T&P valve up into
the attic, across, and out the soffit.

You don't want to be around the output of the sucker when it blows.