Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it?

On Nov 18, 9:22*pm, "HeyBub" wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 11/18/08 11:35 am wrote:

DONT MESS WITH ANODE ON SUCH A OLD TANK, IT CAN CAUSE LEAK

As a first-time homeowner in the USA, I had not realized that water
heaters typically have such a short life. My home in Australia had a
25-yr warranty unit.

Here we have a Ruud gas water heater which looked new enough when we
moved in 5 years ago that I thought no more of it.

Now you have me worried. I looked up this unit and found that it had
only a 6-year warranty which expired 6 years ago already. I knew
nothing about checking the anode until reading these messages, so
I'll do that ASAP.
And I see that manufacturers state that life is related to water
pressure. What is considered reasonable? The last time I checked ours
at an outdoor spigot it showed 80psi.

I assume that a new one is going to have to be installed by a
professional? Typical cost?

No, you can do it. There are devices to make the job easier.

For example, instead of direct connections to the heater, you can use
sooper-strong, steel-braided hoses. This greatly minimizes the effort
required to get the heater connected. Same with the gas line.

All in all, there are two water connections, one gas connection, and one
blowout-valve connection.

With the money you save on installation labor, you can get a better quality
product, buy a couple of wrenches you might need, the aforementioned hoses,
and still have enough left for a two-week vacation in Monaco.- Hide quoted text -

I'd check the code in your area first - assuming you care about being
compliant.

My grandmother had a stove replaced in her apartment in Massachusetts
and had to pay extra to have it "hard-piped" because the flex pipes
were no longer code. It may have been an local apartment-code thing, I
can't say.

I will say that I have never seen a water heater installed with flex
hoses (for the gas *or* water) but my experience doesn't mean it's not
legal.