Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default Mill advice?

Terry Coombs wrote:

(snip)

Which version of Linux ? Ubuntu 8.04 is stable , has a great GUI , and
plays VERY well with windows . I've ran it alonside XP Pro , but not as a
dual-boot with Vista - yet . Another advantage is that it can be installed
from inside Windows , with minor loss of some functions (hibernation , for
example).
Looks like I might get a chance , I got the axe at the cabinet shop
yesterday . Time to shift over to metalworking for a living , I know of a
couple of niche markets that need more (cheaper!) suppliers .

PCLinuxOS Gnome 2008 (gnome based remaster) for now, (was a bit of a
linux tart for awhile). I did see that ubuntu got the "run from inside
windows" thing going well, and they have a "huge" user suppert base.

I don't dual boot the vista laptop and will probably take the desktop
all linux this winter. I got a bit of sticker shock with the laptop when
I started buying apps and the price went from 1200 to well over 2000...

I'm still amazed at how fast this old PIII 866 runs on linux, and the
correct solution for the 1440x900 screen (MS and Nvidea offer NO
solution for a box this old running a TNT 64).

Matt