Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it?

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 11:41:25 -0500, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

"Geek Dad" wrote in message
It's an A.O. Smith 40 gallon gas water heater.

We can get it replaced, no worries financially. Bradford White, $800
installed.

I just want to know how can you tell how long it will continue to
last?

The HVAC guys that replaced our central air/heating system said we
should consider getting it replaced. Our plumber agreed.

Of course, being Mr. Cynical that I am, they probably need the
business.

Our basement is finished, so we can't really let it go for too long.
So there's that too.

Our realtor says those things can last for a long time. Apparently
longer than 14 years.

So she says one thing, the guys that get paid installing these things
say another.

My wife is now worried that it will go any minute. I try to tell her
to remain calm and tell her that's exactly what the HVAC and plumber
want her to be - paranoid.

Just get 'er done?

As an electrician when I see an electrical problem or hazard at a customer's
house I will point it out due to concerns for their safety. It doesn't
matter to me if I correct the problem or if they have someone else do it.
Two professionals gave you their opinion and you think that they just need
the business. You could wait until the water heater fails and then you will
be dealing with potential flooding, no hot water and no time to shop around
for a good price. I would start getting some quotes now and get it done.

If you are putting in a water heater in the USA and want one that will
outlast you, put in a Vaughn Stone Lined. Only available in Electric
as far as I know, but the hydrastone lined tanks are not only
extremely long-lived, but also quite efficient.
You can realistically expect them to last 50 years.