Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Our water heater is 14 years old - replace it?

On Nov 18, 11:23�am, "Bob F" wrote:
"Geek Dad" wrote in message

It's an A.O. Smith 40 gallon gas water heater.

We can get it replaced, no worries financially. Bradford White, $800
installed.

I just want to know how can you tell how long it will continue to
last?

The HVAC guys that replaced our central air/heating system said we
should consider getting it replaced. Our plumber agreed.

Of course, being Mr. Cynical that I am, they probably need the
business.

Our basement is finished, so we can't really let it go for too long.
So there's that too.

Our realtor says those things can last for a long time. Apparently
longer than 14 years.

So she says one thing, the guys that get paid installing these things
say another.

My wife is now worried that it will go any minute. I try to tell her
to remain calm and tell her that's exactly what the HVAC and plumber
want her to be - paranoid.

Just get 'er done?

Replace the anode and it may last for many years.

The water where you are makes a big difference.- Hide quoted text -

ask neighbors how long theres lasted.

Ours is 8 years old and due for replacement, around here they always
fail by 10.

new heater will be far more energy efficent.

you might consider installing a drip pan or other arrangement so
future failure cant damage finiushed space.

a buddy built a low block wall, and added drain line to sewer to keep
leak water visible but confined to non finished space,

of course his baSEMENT IS BELOW GROUND LEVEL

his tank leaked while he was on 2 week vacation, filled the basement
with water that finally spilled out front door. drbris had floated
over and clogged basement sewer drain.

did about 70 grand in damage, new furnace, main service and wiring,
basement finished totalled, ruined hardwood floors upstairs, new
kitchen cabinets, mold from all that moisture had started growing

his home looked awesome when complete, his family lived in hotel for
2 months while repairs went on. a exteded stay place.

really code shoul require heater catch basins, and ones for washing
mnachines upstaIRS

homeowners insurance required and paid for the heater catch basin....