Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis[_5_] mac davis[_5_] is offline

Default Your most used midi-lathe tools?

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:36:05 -0800 (PST), robo hippy
wrote:

Power sanding is like true variable speed. Once you have it, you can
never go back.
robo hippy

For sure... though the original concept sort of scared me..
My mind said that if I touched a spinning object with another object that was
spinning in the opposite direction, all hell would break loose..

Every once in a while, I come across something that can't be power sanded and
it's like returning to the stone age..

I've even started using long sanding drums for the inside of vases and stuff..

On Nov 16, 10:08*am, mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:17:02 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

your list indicates a lot of spindle work, Arch..

For me, it's:
3/4" roughing gouge
5/8" bowl gouge
1/2' round-nosed scraper

Unless the close angle sander counts, then I guess I drop the roughing gouge...
I'd NEVER go back to non-power sanding..

If you could use only three tools to turn on your Jet Mini or similar
size lathe, what three tools _DO you actually use most?

Armchair logic might say a 1/8" parting/beading tool, a 1/2" spindle
gouge and a 3/4" skew. Actually, I seem to more often pick up a thin
1/16" parting tool, a 3/8" deep flute long bevel gouge and a 1/2"
straight long bevel skew.

I wish I had said four tools, because I sure use my thick 1/2 in scraper
a lot, but I said only three! *What _three tools do you actually use
most on your midi-lathe?

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing