Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Your most used midi-lathe tools?

If you could use only three tools to turn on your Jet Mini or similar
size lathe, what three tools _DO you actually use most?

Armchair logic might say a 1/8" parting/beading tool, a 1/2" spindle
gouge and a 3/4" skew. Actually, I seem to more often pick up a thin
1/16" parting tool, a 3/8" deep flute long bevel gouge and a 1/2"
straight long bevel skew.

I wish I had said four tools, because I sure use my thick 1/2 in scraper
a lot, but I said only three! What _three tools do you actually use
most on your midi-lathe?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In message , Arch
writes

If you could use only three tools to turn on your Jet Mini or similar
size lathe, what three tools _DO you actually use most?

Armchair logic might say a 1/8" parting/beading tool, a 1/2" spindle
gouge and a 3/4" skew. Actually, I seem to more often pick up a thin
1/16" parting tool, a 3/8" deep flute long bevel gouge and a 1/2"
straight long bevel skew.

I wish I had said four tools, because I sure use my thick 1/2 in scraper
a lot, but I said only three! What _three tools do you actually use
most on your midi-lathe?

Turn to Safety, Arch

Assuming we are excluding 240, 400 and 600 grit variable geometry
cutting tools

For me its a
5/8 inch Bowl Gouge
1 inch straight edge scraper
1/8 inch parting tool

Not necessarily because they are the right size, but more because I like
the feel of the tools, and in some case no alternative size is available
in my selection. I suspect as I vary my projects more the other tools
will get greater use
--
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

my mini-lathe is a Nova Comet -
I now mostly use it for pens, so a small (3/8) spindle gouge, a small skew,
and a parting tool would be the three - if I still used it for other shapes,
I'd replace the parting tool with a bowl gouge.

"Arch" wrote in message

If you could use only three tools to turn on your Jet Mini or similar
size lathe, what three tools _DO you actually use most?

Armchair logic might say a 1/8" parting/beading tool, a 1/2" spindle
gouge and a 3/4" skew. Actually, I seem to more often pick up a thin
1/16" parting tool, a 3/8" deep flute long bevel gouge and a 1/2"
straight long bevel skew.

I wish I had said four tools, because I sure use my thick 1/2 in scraper
a lot, but I said only three! What _three tools do you actually use
most on your midi-lathe?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Given the choice of 3, I would have to say a 3/4 inch skew, a
Thompsons 1/2 inch U bowl gouge, and a 1/2 inch scraper. I could turn
anything with these tools. A parting tool would be an extra, but a
saw could substitute.
robo hippy

On Nov 15, 10:28*am, John wrote:
In message , Arch
writes

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Power sanding is like true variable speed. Once you have it, you can
never go back.
robo hippy

On Nov 16, 10:08*am, mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 12:17:02 -0500, (Arch) wrote:

your list indicates a lot of spindle work, Arch..

For me, it's:
3/4" roughing gouge
5/8" bowl gouge
1/2' round-nosed scraper

Unless the close angle sander counts, then I guess I drop the roughing gouge...
I'd NEVER go back to non-power sanding..

If you could use only three tools to turn on your Jet Mini or similar
size lathe, what three tools _DO you actually use most?

Armchair logic might say a 1/8" parting/beading tool, a 1/2" spindle
gouge and a 3/4" skew. Actually, I seem to more often pick up a thin
1/16" parting tool, a 3/8" deep flute long bevel gouge and a 1/2"
straight long bevel skew.

I wish I had said four tools, because I sure use my thick 1/2 in scraper
a lot, but I said only three! *What _three tools do you actually use
most on your midi-lathe?

Turn to Safety, *Arch * * * * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Fortiter

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:36:05 -0800 (PST), robo hippy
wrote:

Power sanding is like true variable speed. Once you have it, you can
never go back.
robo hippy

For sure... though the original concept sort of scared me..
My mind said that if I touched a spinning object with another object that was
spinning in the opposite direction, all hell would break loose..

Every once in a while, I come across something that can't be power sanded and
it's like returning to the stone age..

I've even started using long sanding drums for the inside of vases and stuff..

midi Lathe Stoney Woodturning 18 July 31st 08 04:23 PM
Which Midi lathe? [email protected] Woodturning 32 February 22nd 07 06:25 AM
DIY - Jet Midi Lathe Stand Greg G. Woodworking 3 November 27th 05 11:16 PM
DIY Jet Midi Lathe Stand Greg G. Woodturning 2 November 27th 05 09:40 AM
FA:: Delta Midi Lathe Rob V Woodworking 0 November 16th 03 07:19 PM