Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default Mill advice?

matthew maguire wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

(snip)

Only thing I've found about Vista that I like is the
parental controls ,

Hi Terry,

Vista did finally go to vector graphics for character generation (easy
on old eyes like mine), and has the file tags (probably nobody uses)
that lets the search function scream. I think that indexing thing is
mostly to blame for the large amount of memory needed by vista.

I'd never seen thunderbird or firefox 'till I put linux on my 8 year
old PIII866 last spring...It finally got a root kit in it I couldn't
remove. Up until then it ran WinMe, OE, Agent and Explorer all that
time except for when I tried XP and it just buried the poor PIII with
256meg.
Now I'm stuck learning Vista on my laptop and linux on the desktop....

Matt

Which version of Linux ? Ubuntu 8.04 is stable , has a great GUI , and
plays VERY well with windows . I've ran it alonside XP Pro , but not as a
dual-boot with Vista - yet . Another advantage is that it can be installed
from inside Windows , with minor loss of some functions (hibernation , for
example).
Looks like I might get a chance , I got the axe at the cabinet shop
yesterday . Time to shift over to metalworking for a living , I know of a
couple of niche markets that need more (cheaper!) suppliers .
--
Snag
'90 Ultra "Strider"