Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Battery Drills: I now have 4 bad ones.

On Nov 18, 1:28*am, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:38:52 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

wrote:
On Nov 17, 7:03*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:20:15 -0600, Phil Again

wrote:
This morning I discovered I now have 4 non-functional cordless drills
(battery powered) all due to battery packs won't take a charge.

Replacement batteries cost more than a new cordless drill. *

The last cordless drill set, from HF, lasted less than 3 years. *

So, my question:

Has anyone ever seen an aftermarket adapter that uses household electric
power, and fits into a cordless drill where the battery pack goes?

Wouldn't it be nice to spend $29.95 to convert a useless cordless drill
to a functional corded drill?

I know, I know, return from fantasy wishful thinking land, do not pass GO
and don't collect $200.00 monopoly money.

Phil

I'd lile to just find plugs to go where the batteries plug in.
Several of my dead drills are 12V. *I could run them off a car battery
or a mortocycle battery which would bea easier to carry around.

I agree, they are made to be thrown away and add more trash to our
dumps which will never decompose since it's mostly plastic.

I dont evn own a cordless drill anymore. *I can always run a cord to
use a 120V plug in drill, which is much cheaper to buy, and they dont
run out of power halfway thru the job.

The last cordless I owned really ****ed me off. *I was trying to
finish screwing on a sheet of tin siding on my barn, which had to be
finished or the wind would have destroyed it. *It was pouring rain,
high winds, and I'm outside getting soaked. *The job would have been
finished if I had not had to recharge the battery 3 or 4 times during
the job. *That damn battery was weak and would only install about 15
screws before needing a recharge. *I had about 6 screws to do, when
the battery died. *I whipped the drill against the concrete below the
ladder and watched it smash into a few hundred pieces. *Since I could
not drag a cord and 120v drill out in that rain, I had to finish the
job with a nutdriver. *I was really ****ed, and glad that drill met
it's reward in hell. *I will never buy another one.- Hide quoted text -

Early in your post you said: "I can always run a cord to use a 120V
plug in drill"

And then you followed up with "Since I could not drag a cord and 120v
drill out in that rain..."

I guess "always" was a bit overstated, wasn't it?

OK, you're right. *I can always use a 120V drill, EXCEPT in pouring
rain. *Just a bit too dangerous. *Maybe with a GFI I would have tried
it, but there are none in that building. *I should probably invest in
one of those portable GFIs.- Hide quoted text -

Just a suggestion re a GFI equipped extension cord.
We had one older style GFI duplex outlet that is capable only of
protecting anything plugged into it.
It is not, like more modern ones, capable of protecting other
'downstream' outlets.
Fixing up an extension cable of reasonably heavy gauge, we placed that
GFI on the end of it.
So we now have a GFI equipped extension cord/cable which can be
plugged into any outlet; inside the house for example and run out
through a window etc. for safe use outside.