Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default AR15 evaluation

RB wrote:
Karl Townsend wrote:
My son met a guy that needs $. He want to sell an AR15. Cash in a parking
lot kind of deal. He claims its an accurized (sp) unit that has higher
value. Comes with a military noise suppressor that is supposed to be rare.
Anybody have advice, web sites to read etc. on determining value?

I've seen one on TV but never touched one. And not much of an expert in this
area.

A face-to-face sale is entirely legal in most states, or any state I'd
ever want to live in. The buyer and seller have to reside in the same
state as the transaction. If you don't know the other party, I'd ask
them to bring a photocopy of their state driver's license. Barring that,
if they have a concealed handgun license, ask to see it. Keep emails etc
about the transaction. Print them and file them.

But your later post about waiting is correct. the current feeding frenzy
is the result of the ignorant suddenly waking up and realizing
"everyone in the US has an AR except me, and Obama is about to cut me off".
ARs and Aks will be available for some time to come. Neither is
worth the prices some vendors are chargin lately.

Best bet right now is to buy a stripped lower receiver. It's the only
regulated part. these are going for over $125 most places, but there are
deals. There is a group buy going on 1919M4.com for $78 + shipping.

http://www.1919a4.com/forums/showthr...threadid=19928

Buy several, it's a good investment. Then you can build over time to
the configuration you want, after you know enough about them to decide that.

That's good advice for people worried about another ban and wanting to not
jump all the way in now.

Just keep in mind that a lower receiver is technically a firearm and
regulated as such, so even though it's just a chunk of metal, in the eyes
of the law, it's the same as a completed and functional gun. If you need
to keep records on sales/transfers (depending on where you live) for
firearms, they apply to this component, but not the other parts.