Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Hmm tools...

Bob Eager coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 22:36:29 UTC, robgraham
wrote:

It's the "Only £79.99" that sticks in my craw. 9 years ago I bought
out of Safeways a Bosch box that contained a battery drill driver, a
torch and a cycle tyre compressor with two 9.6v batteries and a fast
charger for £40. And all is still going wonderfully.

A pox on all your fancy L-Ion batteries, 24v systems, etc; mine is
light, reliable, works hard ....and no doubt will die tomorrow !!

I bought one of the little Bosch Li-ion Ixo models just after they came
out, three or four years ago. It doesn't have the grunt for *really*
stiff screws, but it's still been a lifesaver!

Cost me £24.99, and must have been the earliest model. Battery died
after 4 months, so I took it back to B&Q. They replaced it with the
current model, £29.99 with an improved stand, a selection of bits and a
clearly improved battery. The only gripe I have it that it gets rather
warm while charging, and the two charging contacts on the handle are a
bit too warm for comfort if using straight away.

I was toying with the Ixo as B&Q had some on clearout a while back. But the
one I got in the end was a similar model to the one they use at work and
they love it, so that kind of swayed me. Having the torque limiter was a
major consideration.

Cheers

Tim