Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim S Tim S is offline

Default Hmm tools...

robgraham coughed up some electrons that declared:

On 16 Nov, 22:04, Tim S wrote:
Treated myself to one of these cordless screwdrivers today from the
Screwfix counter in Tunbridge Wells: Yes I know, could have got it
cheaper on the web, but couldn't wait...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/87155/...s-Screwdrivers...

Very impressed that for something that is so small and light it seems to
have some reasonable grunt.

It made kitchen disassembly today very pleasant and much easier to do
single handed.

The Fein proved a lifesaver too when taking out a corner cupboard by the
sink as I need to leave the sink in for now for coffee and cleaning up.
So I had to make some fairly awkward cuts in the worktop. Jigsaw with a
broken off blade did the long stretch more quickly, and the Fein did the
impossibly difficult bit at the back.

Looking at the water pipes I need to cut off and disconnect soon, looks
like a Fein job too as there's not enough room to swing even a compact
pipe cutter on some of them... Definitely no room for a hacksaw either.

This is what I like about doing a big job - no quandry about buying fancy
tools. I'd never justify all these nice things for the odd spot of DIY.

I remember the old days when my father would curse, and get the hammer
and chisel out and spend 2 days doing something like this that I can sort
in less than an hour with the right equipment How did people survive?

Cheers

Tim

It's the "Only £79.99" that sticks in my craw.

It is a "blue". I try not to buy cheap for things that are going to get a
lot of use, as this will. Same with my drill (also blue Bosch). Jigsaw sees
occasional use and that's a green Bosch, along with my planer. Single use
stuff comes from ALDI specials or the hire shop ;-

9 years ago I bought
out of Safeways a Bosch box that contained a battery drill driver, a
torch and a cycle tyre compressor with two 9.6v batteries and a fast
charger for £40. And all is still going wonderfully.

My first (only) cordless drill was 20 quid from a Texas (remember them)
closing down sale. That lasted 5 years before I abused it to having a
pronounced wobble in the shaft, then another 5 years being good enough as a
screwdriver and rough drill until the battery died.

A pox on all your fancy L-Ion batteries, 24v systems, etc; mine is
light, reliable, works hard ....and no doubt will die tomorrow !!

:-