Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Current electrical regs - and Kitchens

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
We are planning to convert a built-in garage into a kitchen - since it's
bigger than the extisting kitchen (which will become a utility room) and

we
now have a separate detached garage.

Can some kind soul please tell me what the implications of the latest
electrical regs (17th Edition, or whatever) are likely to be?

The current kitchen has a dedicated cooker feed - which I plan to divert

the new one - and has fixed appliances (fridge, dishwasher, etc.) plugged
into 13A sockets on one of the ring mains. All circuits are protected by
circuit breakers in the CU - but not RCDs. There are plenty of power

outlets
in the old garage, which can be moved around to suit.

One kitchen firm we've talked to is telling us that each appliance now

needs
a dedicated feed (presumably RCD protected?) so that if one trips it

doesn't
take the rest out. Is that correct? If so, that may mean replacing the

CU -
'cos there aren't any spare ways or any RCD protection at present. If this
is the case, what are the implications for the rest of the house?

Any informed comments will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Roger

Just the fridge and / or freezer is best on a separate radial circuit. That
way they stay on if the rest of the kitchen sockets go into fault. Also,
and obviously, Electric Cooking Appliances are best on their own radial
supply.