Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Your most used midi-lathe tools?

Given the choice of 3, I would have to say a 3/4 inch skew, a
Thompsons 1/2 inch U bowl gouge, and a 1/2 inch scraper. I could turn
anything with these tools. A parting tool would be an extra, but a
saw could substitute.
robo hippy

On Nov 15, 10:28*am, John wrote:
In message , Arch
writes

If you could use only three tools to turn on your Jet Mini or similar
size lathe, what three tools _DO you actually use most?

Armchair logic might say a 1/8" parting/beading tool, a 1/2" spindle
gouge and a 3/4" skew. Actually, I seem to more often pick up a thin
1/16" parting tool, a 3/8" deep flute long bevel gouge and a 1/2"
straight long bevel skew.

I wish I had said four tools, because I sure use my thick 1/2 in scraper
a lot, but I said only three! *What _three tools do you actually use
most on your midi-lathe?

Turn to Safety, *Arch

Assuming we are excluding 240, 400 and 600 grit variable geometry
cutting tools *

For me its a
5/8 inch Bowl Gouge
1 inch straight edge scraper
1/8 inch parting tool

Not necessarily because they are the right size, but more because I like
the feel of the tools, and in some case no alternative size is available
in my selection. I suspect as I vary my projects more the other tools
will get greater use
--
John