Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Hitachi Deskstar hard drive

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 03:32:20 -0000, William Sommerwerck wrote:

If you're going for raid, buy a raid controller card, and look at
the performance (tom's hardware etc) of each. There is a vast
difference in performance between them, and onboard controllers
really suck. In fact all the ones I've used don't show much speed
increase over a single drive!

I was looking at an Adaptec card the other, and was appalled at the $350
price tag.

I'm buying an Areca controller (PCI express 8x, takes 4 SATA drives, 256MB cache/buffer). It's $500. But its performace (on graphs at Tom's Hardware) is astronomical.

A group of cowboys were branding some cattle.
While they were out the cook saw a sheep tied to a post. Thinking it was for that nights dinner he cooked it.
That night after dinner the cowboys were all sulking and ignoring the cook. He pulled one aside and asked, "Did I screw up the cooking?"
"No", the cowboy replied, "You cooked up the screwing."