Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default Hitachi Deskstar hard drive

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 18:44:19 -0000, Clint Sharp wrote:

In message , William
Sommerwerck writes
My next computer will have integral RAID, and I won't have to manually back
up again, ever. (Except possibly Really Important stuff, just to be safe.)

With respect William, part of my job is recovering data off
failed/corrupted RAID sets. Do not rely on RAID to keep your data safe,
if the chances of two disks failing in a RAID 5 set then I must be the
luckiest (they weren't my RAID sets) man alive because I've seen it
dozens of times in the past 5 years. If you value your data then back it
up somewhere safe.

Use RAID 6. You have TWO redundancies. And you can add some hotswaps too.

As they say at Microsoft - "What do you want to reinstall today?"