Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default Hitachi Deskstar hard drive

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Incidentally, my office SCO Unix box has been continuously running a
Conner 1060s SCSI drive since about 1993. I keep waiting for it to
fail, so I have an excuse to build up something better. The 486DX2/66
mother board has died twice. One power supply died. Some RAM went
bad. But, the hard disk and Ineptec 1542 controller keeps plunking
along for 15 years. Hint: It's always on.

As part of power consumption mitigation this summer, I finally swapped
out my two HP C3010 2GB 5400 RPM 5 1/4 inch SCSI drives that had been
running here continuously since 1998, and many years (perhaps nearly
as long) prior to that on someone else's Sun box; they made a _lot_
of heat, but the driver (on AT&T SVR4) never reported an error the
entire time I ran them. I did cool them well however.

There is/was an electric lamp (bulb - carbon filament I believe) that
is/has been running continuously more than 100 years in a fire station
in the SF area; there ought to be a survey of rotating mass storage
installations to find the longest running examples out there.

Michael