Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Hitachi Deskstar hard drive

"David" wrote in
:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
message ...
"Clint Sharp" wrote in
message
In message ,
William
Sommerwerck writes
My next computer will have integral RAID, and I won't
have to manually

back
up again, ever. (Except possibly Really Important stuff,
just to be

safe.)

With respect William, part of my job is recovering data
off
failed/corrupted RAID sets. Do not rely on RAID to keep
your data safe,
if the chances of two disks failing in a RAID 5 set then
I must be the
luckiest (they weren't my RAID sets) man alive because
I've seen it
dozens of times in the past 5 years. If you value your
data then back it
up somewhere safe.

I read this recently elsewhere, and find it very hard to
believe that two
drives -- even identical ones purchased at the same
time -- would fail
essentially simultaneously.

I had a situation with Seagate drives where the scenario
above happened. There were two identical drives in a
computer purchased at the same time. After about 3 years one
failed due to increasing bad sectors being found.and was
replaced. One week later, the identical failure occurred in
the second drive. I doubt power supply problems or any other
common cause due the computer was involved.

David

any speculation on what was "causing" the "bad sectors"?

I wonder if it's an electrolytic cap problem?(on the drives) ;-}

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik